Reducing Our Waste
UTILITY practices what we preach to the best of our abilities, but we are not a zero-waste business.
Throughout the business, we are doing our best to reduce and reuse where we can.
Ways we reduce and reuse in production
- Produce our UTILITY line of products in Portland which requires less transport, therefore a smaller carbon footprint
- Source our product ingredients from vendors in Portland and surrounding areas
- When possible, we reuse containers our ingredients come in
- Reuse the containers our products are made and transported in
- Work with companies who honor our requests for minimal or no packaging
- Sharing space with Coy & Co., a zero-waste floral shop, means we share resources required for a physical location-electricity, water, energy
When it comes to marketing, UTILITY stays true to our low waste ethos by
- Putting the majority of our information online which reduces paper and other physical waste from going to the landfill (it does use energy of course)
- Use minimal labeling
- As we explore solutions for labeling, we are weighing the most environmentally responsible options
This isn't a complete or conclusive list of UTILITY's waste reducing strategies. Improvement is an evolution and we are committed to learning how we can do better. If you have information to share and/or ideas, contact us.