Reducing Our Waste
UTILITY practices what we preach to the best of our abilities, but we are not a zero-waste business.
From sourcing to production to retail and distribution, reduce and reuse, are at the forefront of our practices and drive our decisions.
Ways we reduce and reuse in production
- Produce our UTILITY line of products in Portland which requires less transport, therefore a smaller carbon footprint
- Source our product ingredients, as much as possible, from businesses in Portland and surrounding areas
- When possible, we reuse the containers our ingredients come in
- Reuse the containers our products are made and transported in
- Work with companies who honor our request for minimal or no packaging
- Share space with Coy & Co., a low-waste floral shop, and Go-Box, which allows us to share resources and equipment
When it comes to marketing, UTILITY is committed to upholding a reduced waste ethos. Our practices are:
- Putting the majority of our information online which reduces paper and other physical waste from going to the landfill (it does use energy of course)
- Use minimal labeling and packaging
- Our current labels are removable and reusable
This isn't a complete or conclusive list of UTILITY's waste reducing strategies. Improvement is an evolution and we are committed to learning how we can do better. If you have information to share and/or ideas, please contact us.